NHBA’s annual Summer outing is coming up soon! Here are the details:
- The outing is FREE for current NHBA members.
- Date/Time : June 25, 2016 from 10-3
- Location: Musterfield Farms, Harvey Road, North Sutton, NH
- Speakers & Topics:
- Les Crowder, author of “Top Bar Beekeeping”, who has been a beekeeper in New Mexico & Texas for over 30 years. He has worked in large commercial operations, been the NM honey bee inspector as well as the president of NM beekeepers association. He has experimented with types & styles of hives, breeds queens, and has been keeping bees without chemicals or antibiotics for over 15 years. For more information about Les, please see his website: http://www.fortheloveofbees.com/
- Is it possible to keep honeybees without toxic or non-toxic treatments?
- Experiences & practices to keep healthy bees without mitecides, antibiotics or chemicals by monitoring for disease and mites.
- Challenges to monitoring for disease and mites when using different types of hives (e.g. top bar, langstroth, warre)
We plan to be opening some hives as part of Les’ talk – to watch the demonstration you MUST wear a veil. (sorry no exceptions!)
- Barbara Lawler, NHBA president-emeritus
- labeling of honey & other bee products
- Panel question & answer.
- We’ll have the annual Smoker contest.
- Lunch (Chicken, sausages, burgers, & hot dogs) & drinks are supplied by NHBA
- We might need additional grills – please let us know if you have one available that you could bring.
- Please bring a side dish, salad or dessert to share
- Don’t forget to bring a chair!
This special meeting series is partially funded through the New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, Markets & Foods Integrated Pest Management Grant Program.